PERIPHERAL BLOOD FOR FLOW CYTOMETRY
Examination of peripheral blood for presence or absence of abnormal cells (e.g. leukemia and lymphoma) and/or evaluation of T cell subsets (T4/T8 ratio) in immunodeficiencies (e.g. HIV or AIDS) and/or quantitation of precursor CD34 positive cells.
1. Sodium heparin (green top) or EDTA (lavendar top) tube
2. LMC requisition form
3. Biohazard bag for specimen transport
1. Using the standard sterile venipuncuture technique, collect peripheral blood to fill a standard sodium heparin (green top) blood tube or EDTA (lavendar top) blood tube. For pediatric patients, the smaller pediatric sized tubes are also acceptable.
2. Fill out the LMC requisition form and include the clinical diagnosis, specific tests requested (Leukemia/Lymphoma panel, Immune Deficiency Panel or Total CD34 count) and time and date of collection.
3. Submit to the Laboratory in a biohazard bag.